If you just asked, “What is a babymoon?” while reading the title of this blog, you’re not alone. But don’t worry, we’ll explain everything. As we all know, pregnancy is a significant life event and it deserves to be celebrated in every way possible. One way is by taking a babymoon with your partner.
A babymoon is similar to a honeymoon – expecting parents go on a vacation as a celebration of the birth of their baby. It’s a little bit different in that they do so before their baby is born. This getaway gives them a chance to enjoy some relaxing and rejuvenating time before they embark on the special journey that is parenthood.
The concept of a babymoon has gained popularity in recent years, with more and more couples taking this opportunity to celebrate their pregnancy and their bond with each other.
Why Take a Babymoon?
There are many reasons parents should treat themselves to a babymoon. These include:
- Quality time: pregnancies can be stressful and after the baby is born, there isn’t a lot of time for parents to really spend together. A babymoon allows them to reconnect and enjoy each other’s company, without the distractions of everyday life.
- Relaxation and rejuvenation: Pregnancy can be physically and emotionally draining, especially for the person carrying the baby. A babymoon is the perfect opportunity to slow down for some well-deserved rest before the next phase of having a child. That’s why many babymoons end up in destinations that offer serene and peaceful, such as a beach or spa.
- Bonding with baby: Even though the baby hasn’t been born into the world yet, there are still ways you can bond with it during this downtime. Talk and sing to your baby, or simply enjoy the feeling of their movements. Having these quiet moments can help build a stronger bond between a parent and their unborn child.
- One last vacation as a two-person unit: This might be the last time you and your partner get to have some time together without dependents for quite some time, so why not make the most of it? You can explore new places, try new foods, and have fun without worrying about your baby’s needs.
- Celebrating the pregnancy: Marking this significant milestone in your lives is important to do. Take the opportunity to create lasting memories that you can cherish for years to come.
Choosing to Babymoon in Kelowna
Whether you’re travelling from out of town or you’re a local, Kelowna is a great place to have a babymoon weekend getaway. There are many facets of the area to explore and enjoy.
Nature and Outdoors
Kelowna has plenty of natural space for you to enjoy, regardless of season. Take a leisurely hike up Knox Mountain for a spectacular view in the summer or head up to Telemark Nordic for snowshoe in the winter. Kelowna is also situated on Okanagan Lake, which is surrounded by plenty of beaches if you’re looking for a relaxing time in the sunshine.
Head to one of Kelowna’s many spas to treat yourself to massages, spa treatments, and other activities that promote relaxation and help you feel recharged and refreshed. Let your worries and stress melt away.
A few to mention:
- The Sweet Spot: a boutique salon situated in the same complex as The Shore. This beautiful bright space has plenty of self-care treatments to choose from, including waxes, nails, brows, and massages. Their popular Sweet Spot Pedicure is a favourite among locals and tourists alike.
– 120-3477 Lakeshore Road (1 min walk from The Shore)
- DermaMedica Medical Skin & Laser Clinic is also steps away from The Shore. Priding itself on its close relationship with its clients, the clinic offers non-surgical medical skincare services and is happy to tailor their services to every client’s needs. Chat with one of their professionals about maternity-related skincare concerns and routines so you can really show off that pregnancy glow.
– 200-3477 Lakeshore Road (1 min walk from The Shore)
- A little further out, is Zahra Salon & Spa. As it’s a certified Aveda facility, you can feel at ease knowing there are standards and official training in place to ensure clients feel calm and relaxed as soon as you step through the door. Zahra’s offerings include spa, hair, and medical skincare services. Thanks to their large pool of qualified aestheticians, you know you’re getting an expert practitioner when choosing a service.
– 121-1950 Harvey Avenue (12 min drive from The Shore)
If you’re looking for more options, be sure to check out our Getting Pampered at The Shore post!
Shopping for your Little One
There are a few shops in town where you can pick up some things in preparation of the arrival of your baby.
- Carter’s – OshKosh B’gosh – many adults will remember OshKosh B’gosh from their childhood and you can get the same quality kids’ clothing from Carter’s in Kelowna. There are plenty of comfy and cute styles to choose from.
– 1950 Harvey Ave Suite 98, Kelowna, BC (12 min drive from The Shore)
- Baby and Me – Also on Harvey Ave is Baby and Me. This family owned and operated store is packed with plenty of clothes, toys, and necessary baby gear and accessories, so give yourself some extra time to check it out.
– 2061 Harvey Ave, Kelowna, BC (12 min drive from The Shore)
Food and Drinks
Being in the heart of the Okanagan Valley, Kelowna is home to many delicious food and drink establishments, most of which boast plenty of local fare on their menus.
Plant-based: Frankie We Salute You
With creative menu choices bursting with so many delicious flavours, you won’t even notice there’s no meat. At Frankie We Salute You, you can tell that a lot of love and care has gone into their plates.
1717 Harvey Ave #6, Kelowna, BC
11 min drive from The Shore
Farm to table, but make it fancy: RauDZ
Casual but intimate, RauDZ is the perfect spot for a romantic dinner for two. Their seasonal menus change up regularly so you’ll always find something delicious highlighting local produce, fruits, and berries.
1560 Water St, Kelowna, BC
11 min drive from The Shore
Small bites: Salt & Brick
This cute and cozy spot features shared plates focused on fresh, local and seasonal items displayed on a daily revamped menu.
243 Bernard Ave, Kelowna, BC
9 min drive from The Shore
Casual Eats: KRAFTY Kitchen & Bar
Steps from Okanagan Lake, is another farm to table restaurant with a fun and casual vibe. During the warmer months, you can enjoy some truffled mac and cheese or a delicious burger on their sunny outdoor patio.
281 Lawrence Ave, Kelowna, BC
11 min drive from The Shore
Make the Most of your Babymoon
Whatever you choose to do to celebrate your pregnancy and upcoming birth, we think Kelowna is the place to do it! With plenty of activities to choose from, both indoors and out, and lots of good eats and treats, there’s something for everyone. Work up a sweat with some local hikes or enjoy some lounge time on the best beaches in the area. Then we’ve got some great food ideas such as our vegetarian restaurant recommendations and best brunch and breakfast options. Or, stay home with some easy meals to cook at home.
Staying with us at The Shore
Make your babymoon extra special with a suite at The Shore. Each suite offers everything you need to have a comfortable vacation (or staycation) – from a full kitchen of modern appliances, in-suite laundry, high-speed internet, and beautiful balconies for looking out over the lake.
Explore our suites or start planning your stay today!