Life in the Okanagan is sunny, relaxed, and outdoor-orientated. A beautiful valley of vineyards and forests, surrounding a warm lake with shores of sandy beaches. For those who call Kelowna home, this everyday reality is what vacationers dream of. Yet, many locals miss the attractions that draw tourists to the Okanagan.
Regardless of where home is, our advice is to travel like a local and live like a tourist. With ongoing travel restrictions, there’s never been a better time to explore your surroundings. Here are some tips for planning your next Kelowna staycation.
Vacation vs. Staycation
Like a regular vacation, staycations involve taking time off work and making plans. A staycation offers time to unwind, without the expense or hassle of leaving town.
Staycations work best when they’re planned in advance and are treated as a true vacation. This means turning on your “out of office” autoresponder, logging off work devices, and heading out to explore nearby attractions.
The Best Attractions Aren’t Exclusive to Tourists
Life in the Okanagan is beautiful, whether you grew up in Kelowna or moved here for the sunshine. Between work and obligations, it’s easy to get caught up in the everyday. Many locals stop doing the things that brought them here in the first place, which is where hitting the “reset” button can be so beneficial.
Ten tips for making the most of your next staycation:
- Use PTO. This is a great way to use up paid time off when travel restrictions are in effect.
- Take advantage of three-day breaks. Planning a few day-trips over long weekends can be a great way to extend the summer without having to coordinate blocks of time off.
- Easy transitions. No jet lag, lines or airport wait times.
- Think sustainability. Lighten your carbon footprint and recycle money back into the community.
- Save your money. It won’t be free, but it will certainly be less expensive than a week abroad.
- Plan less. Since you already know the area, you’ll spend less time planning and more time enjoying your surroundings.
- Support local. Enjoy your vacation while supporting small businesses in the community.
- Be there for emergencies. Staying local means being close to home, in case of the unexpected.
- Discover hidden gems. Kelowna has incredible sights, ready to be discovered or rediscovered. With over 200 wineries, 19 golf courses and 30 beaches, there’s something for everyone.
- Get out of the house. Book an overnight stay in a local Kelowna rental, like The Shore Kelowna.
Staycations at The Shore
Being at home with a lengthy to-do list doesn’t make it easy to relax. We suggest getting away, staying somewhere with all the comforts of home, without any of the distractions.
The Shore offers stunning accommodations for long-term and short-term Kelowna rentals. With spacious suites that include in-suite kitchens and laundry, you can have the best of home and holiday. These suites are equipped with modern furniture, flat screen TVs, high-speed wifi, and private balconies.
The Shore Kelowna is located in the Lower Mission, alongside Gyro Beach and Lake Okanagan. It’s close to Kelowna’s most popular tourist attractions, including shopping, dining, wine, and golf.
If you’re looking for local tourist ideas, here are some popular places to discover:
- LakeFront Sports. For getting out on the water, jet ski’s offer adrenaline and a workout. Other rentals are also available, including boats, tubes, wakeboards, etc.
- Outdoor Yoga @ Off the Grid Organic Winery. Come for the relaxing movement and breathtaking views, and stay for a wine tasting.
- Okanagan Lavender & Herb Farm. Stock up on farm-grown, small-batch botanical products.
- Gallagher’s Canyon Golf Club. If you’re new to the sport, the Thursday evening “Tips & Sips” session (ladies only) or the Tuesday evening “Pints & Pointers” event (gentlemen only) are a great place to start.
- DunnEnzies Pizza Mission. A local small business that’s been voted best pizza in Kelowna.
- Scandia Golf & Games. Fun for the whole family, with mini-putt, go-karts, and batting cages.
- Kelowna Farmers’ & Crafters’ Market. Flowers, coffee, local fruits and veggies, and handmade goods. A great place to spend a Saturday morning.
Kelowna locals have been waiting for the arrival of the summer season for the past six months, and it’s finally here. Make the most of summer with a fun-filled Okanagan staycation at The Shore Kelowna.