Situated in the heart of BC’s premier wine region, Kelowna boasts over 40 wineries that draw tourists to the area every year. Over 60 varieties of grapes are grown in the Okanagan Valley, making the wine options plentiful. We consider ourselves lucky to live in such a wonderful place, getting to enjoy world-class Okanagan wine at remarkable wineries year round.
At The Shore Kelowna, we want our guests to have the best experience possible. We recommend pairing your stay in our amenity-rich, lakeside accommodations with a spectacular day of Okanagan wine tasting. Read on for your guide to some of the best wineries and wine tour companies Kelowna has to offer.
Wine tasting in Kelowna
On any given day, you can visit wineries in Kelowna. You’ll be provided with exceptional views, beautiful architecture, incredible wines and unique tasting experiences. You can choose to hire a wine tour company, or explore our wineries on your own self-guided tour (with a designated driver, of course).
Since social distancing restrictions have come into effect, it’s recommended to call ahead or book your tasting in advance. This ensures that you won’t have to wait when you arrive, and that a wine expert is available to facilitate your tasting experience.
*Reminder: when visiting wineries in Kelowna, in accordance with BC provincial guidelines, proof of vaccination is required and masks must be worn in all indoor areas.
Wine trails in Kelowna
If you decide you’d like to go the self-guided route, it’s best to choose a single area to focus on so you can make the most of your time. There are five wine trails in Kelowna for you to consider. Each is spectacular and distinct from one another.
- Lakeshore Wine Route: This is the closest wine trail to The Shore. Many of the wineries on Lakeshore’s wine route boast stunning views of Okanagan Lake. Be sure to stop at Tantalus Vineyards, Summerhill Pyramid Winery and Cedar Creek Estate Winery.
For a quintessential Okanagan winery experience, consider making reservations at Cedar Creek’s Home Block Restaurant. Their menu features chef-made creations using locally-sourced ingredients and paired with exceptional wines. It’s sure to be a memorable experience.
- Westside Wine Trail: Offering impressive lake views and some of the most well-established wineries in the Okanagan Valley, the Westside Wine Trail Recommended stops include the iconic Mission Hill Family Estate Winery, Black Swift Vineyards, and Quails Gate Estate Winery For a unique renaissance castle winery experience, Crown & Thieves is a must-see.
- Lake Country’s Scenic Sip: Living up to its name, Lake Country’s Scenic Sip is full of panoramic landscapes with Okanagan lake persisting below. We think you’ll enjoy O’Rourke Peak Cellars, Gray Monk Estate Winery and 50th Parallel Estate. Block One Restaurant at 50th Parallel is highly recommended for delightful, fresh, Chef-curated cuisine.
- Kelowna’s Southeast Bench: Rural countryside, orchards, winding roads and fantastic family-owned wineries give Kelowna’s Southeast Bench a relaxed feel. Notable stops on this route include SpearHead Winery, Kitsch Wines and Priest Creek Family Estate Winery. For a unique experience, checkout The Vibrant Vine. Known for their eclectic art, music and fun story about winning ‘Best White Wine in the World’ at the World Beverage Competition in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Downtown Grapes to Grains: With only one winery on the trail, this route is more for cider and beer lovers. Explore Kelowna’s downtown core enjoying tastings at BNA Brewing, BC Tree Fruits Cider and more. Be sure to stop by Sandhill Wines to try their award-winning varietals.
Kelowna’s best wine tours
If you would like a guided wine tour through Kelowna or West Kelowna, we have compiled some options for you. All of our featured wine tour companies offer pickup and drop off from The Shore Kelowna. Most wine tour companies include snacks, bottled water and a winery lunch on full-day tours. However, lunch is not included in the price of your tour.
- Bare Wine Tours is an award-winning wine tour company that hosts tours in Kelowna, Lake Country, Summerland, Naramata, Okanagan Falls, and the South Okanagan. With Bare you also have the option of a “Quadruple Threat” tour where you can visit a cidery, brewery, distillery, and a couple wineries all in one day.
- Upper End Tours exclusively offers private wine tours throughout the Okanagan area in a luxury SUV.
- Vines & Views Wine Tours has tour itineraries in Kelowna, Penticton and Vernon that have been selected for their combination of beautiful views and delicious wine.
- Kelowna Concierge has half-day wine tours available every day! They also offer private, full-day wine tours throughout Kelowna and the Southern Okanagan.
- Okanagan Wine Country Tours is the first established wine tour company in the Okanagan Valley. They have been offering authentic wine tours since 1998.
- Wicked Wine Tours has won several awards for their wine tours. They are a great choice for a more casual-style tour.
Use The Shore as your home base
Whether you are in Kelowna for a business trip or a fun getaway, The Shore Kelowna has the perfect accommodations to make your stay comfortable and enjoyable. Situated across from one of the most popular beaches in Kelowna, Gyro Beach, The Shore has so much to offer. In addition to its close proximity to numerous wineries, adjacent to The Shore you’ll find countless dining options, shopping, hiking trails, fitness facilities, spas and more.
Book your next getaway in one of our 1, 2 or 3 bedroom furnished suites!