Fall is in full swing here in Kelowna. The air is crisp, leaves are golden, and temperatures are dropping, reminding us that winter is on its way. With this in mind, it might be time to start planning your next winter getaway.
Although typically seen as a summer destination, Kelowna is truly a winter wonderland. The snow brings all new experiences and scenic beauty to the valley. If you’re looking for new ways to enjoy this winter wonderland, here are a few of our favourite outdoor activities while staying at The Shore.
Skiing and Snowboarding
The Okanagan is a destination spot for many skiers and snowboarders. With the dry and optimally frozen temperatures, we enjoy some of the best snow conditions in the world right here in Kelowna. These ideal characteristics create light and fluffy snow affectionately referred to as “Champagne Powder”. Not so coincidentally, we are also home to some world-class ski resorts.
As Canada’s largest ski-in ski-out resort with extensive amenities and activities for the whole family, it’s no wonder that this resort has become a destination for families from all over. Big White is home to 16 lifts, 119 designated trails, and 777 vertical metres of skiable terrain. Nearly three-quarters of the terrain is rated beginner-intermediate, making it the perfect family-friendly resort.
Slightly smaller than Big White, but just as great. Silver Star features 132 trails, higher average snowfall, and 760 vertical metres of skiable terrain. With a mellow front side and more advanced back of the mountain, there’s great skiing here for everyone.
Another classic Canadian pastime. Kelowna has a number of great options for indoor and outdoor skating. All skill levels are welcome and rentals are available.
- Stuart Park – This beautiful outdoor rink is centrally located in the heart of Kelowna, mere steps from the lakefront with lights for night skating and complete with a cozy fire pit. Dependent on weather, Stuart Park is scheduled to open for skating on December 1.
- Big White – More than just a ski resort, Big White is also home to an Olympic-sized ice surface perfect for those looking to play pick up hockey or simply take a leisurely skate. Bonfires and lights make it a great evening activity as well.
- Silver Star – This magical 2.5 acre natural skating surface is a picturesque winter experience. Complete with bonfires, lights, and music, it is definitely worth a visit.
- Indoor Skating – If you prefer indoor skating, The City of Kelowna hosts public skating at the Rutland Arena and Capital News Centre a few nights per week. Check their weekly schedule for more details.
Snowshoeing and Nordic Skiing
Nordic skiing and snowshoeing are great options for those looking to explore the outdoors at a more casual pace. Perfect for any skill and fitness level, you can decide how fast and far you want to go while enjoying the beautiful valley views along the way.
- Kelowna Nordic – Just 20 minutes east of Kelowna, Kelowna Nordic Centre is home to 75 km of beautiful wooded ski trails. Click here for more information on rentals at this location.
- Silver Star – Featuring 55 KM at Silver Star resort and 105 KM of nordic trails at the nearby Sovereign Lake, this is the largest daily groomed trail network in Canada. There are trails for every skill level as well as warming huts along the way.
- Big White – A 25 KM nordic and wilderness trail network starting at the Happy Valley Day Lodge with 20 trails to choose from.
Great fun for all ages. Complete your visit to the ski resort with a trip to the tube park – it’s perfect for anyone with a sense of adventure and a desire for excitement. Whether you visit Big White or Silver Star, you are sure to enjoy their tube parks.
Your Next Winter Adventure
Famous for its champagne powder, world-class ski resorts, and mild winter weather, Kelowna is the perfect spot for your next winter vacation. Enjoy all the perks of ski resorts, with the luxuries of city living by staying at The Shore. Our centrally located suites mean you’ll never be too far from your next winter sports and you’ll never have to compromise on amenities.