Kelowna is a city that has gone to the dogs — in the right way. Named as Canada’s pet-friendliest city in 2015 by Canadian Dogs Annual, Kelowna has some of the best veterinary care, trainers, pet sitters, and pet products in the country, as well as pet-friendly restaurants, accommodations, off-leash parks, and beaches.
The top pick for a pet-friendly Kelowna hotel, The Shore, is a home away from home for both holidaymakers and their four-legged family members. With air-conditioned and spacious suites, you and your pets are guaranteed a comfortable stay in our pet-friendly rentals.
Best of all, we are located a stone’s throw away from several dog-friendly spaces, including parks, beaches, trails, and even wineries! Check out our list of spaces to explore with your pet below!
Fido-Friendly Parks, Beaches and Trails
Kelowna is home to more than 10 off-leash dog parks and more than 50 dog-friendly green spaces and beaches. Those located closest to The Shore include:
- Cedar Creek Park, 5200 Lakeshore Rd. Cedar Creek is the largest off-leash dog park in Kelowna, located 8km south along Lakeshore Drive from our pet-friendly hotel. The park includes a dog beach, off-leash field, and picnic tables with views of the surrounding mountains and glistening Okanagan Lake.
- Mission Creek Greenway and Mission Recreation Park, 4105 Gordon Dr. This park is directly accessible by foot from The Shore. Walk your dog on a leash along Lakeshore Road south to the Mission Creek Greenway trailhead. Head east along the tree-lined and user-friendly path along the creek until you reach Gordon Drive. You can release your hound once reaching Mission Recreation Park, located just behind the H20 Adventure and Fitness Centre and Kelowna Capital News Centre.
- Lake Avenue Dog Beach, 117 Lake Ave. Located in the Pandosy neighbourhood, this new off-leash dog beach is the closest to downtown and is only a 3km walk from our Kelowna pet-friendly space. Watch as boats travel under the William R. Bennett Bridge while your dog splashes and plays to its heart’s content.
- Rowcliffe Park, 536 Rowcliffe Ave. Just a hop, skip and jump away from Lake Avenue Dog Beach is this newly improved community park at the old Kelowna Secondary School site. Perfect for children and pets, the park features a playground, community garden, and a fully fenced off-leash dog park.
- Myra Canyon, Kettle Valley Railway, A popular place for both walkers and cyclists, this part of the historic KVR trail, located east along KLO and McCulloch Roads and up Myra Forest Service Road, is on a former railway that traverses over 18 trestle bridges and through two tunnels way above the stunning Myra Canyon. Dogs must be kept on a leash, but the views are worth dodging the occasional cyclist!
Places to Sip in the Shade with Your Pet
Not only does Kelowna have many places to roam with your pet, but you can also imbibe a glass of local wine, some locally concocted beers, or a freshly brewed coffee at these pet-friendly establishments near your suite at The Shore.
- CedarCreek Estate Winery, 5445 Lakeshore Dr. This established winery features a brand new and modern tasting room that you have to see. Your dog is welcome on-leash outside, and there’s even a dog-friendly picnic area to take in those breathtaking views while enjoying a glass of CedarCreek’s famed Pinot Noir or award-winning Riesling.
- Hubertus and Oak Bay Winery, 5205 Lakeshore Dr. Just steps away from Cedar Creek Dog Beach is this gorgeous winery and vineyard, which has seen a rebirth since it burned to the ground during the devastating 2003 wildfire. Enjoy a glass of their terroir-influenced wine while your pet rests outside the tasting room in a shaded area, with a water bowl available.
- Summerhill Pyramid Winery, 4870 Chute Lake Rd. As one of the pet-friendly wineries in Kelowna, Summerhill is a 10-minute drive south along Lakeshore Drive from The Shore. Enjoy biodynamic and organic wines aged inside an actual pyramid. Enjoy a glass of Summerhill’s famed Cipes Brut in the on-leash outdoor picnic area.
- Tantalus Vineyards, 1670 DeHart Rd. Just a 4km hike or drive up Casorso Road from The Shore, you and your pet can take in the gorgeous views from this long-established and LEED-certified hillside winery that overlooks Okanagan Lake and the City of Kelowna. Feel free to walk your dog on leash through the vineyard. In the summer, you can even bring your leashed pup inside the tasting room — only well-behaved pets (and owners) allowed.
NOTE: if you’re looking for wine tours, be sure to read our Local Guide to the Best Kelowna Wine Tours.
Breweries & Cideries
The Okanagan is best known for its superb wineries, but there’s a notable and growing craft beer and cidery scene worth visiting here as well. Here are a few of our favourite pet-friendly options:
- Jackknife, 727 Baillie Ave. – One of Kelowna’s more unique breweries, this eclectic group is known for their fresh local ingredients, strange yet delicious beers, and some of the best pizza in town. They are conveniently located near Knox Mountain Dog Park, plus they’ve got a great dog-friendly patio in the back for leashed and well-behaved dogs and humans. They’ve created a warm and welcoming environment for everyone with their progressive code of conduct.
- Copper Brewing, 1851 Kirschner Rd #102 – The brewery with a big Bernese Mountain Dog, Copper Brewing is quite possibly the most dog-friendly option on this list. Recently established in Kelowna, you can expect to find some great brews, a large dog-friendly patio, and a friendly brewdog named Porter here.
- Barn Owl Brewing, 4629 Lakeshore Rd #102 – Just a short drive from The Shore, this brewery is located in a stunning heritage barn near Cedar Creek Park, one of Kelowna’s best dog-friendly beaches. The unique building creates a rustic charm you won’t find in many other spots and features a comfortable patio to relax on with your pup.
- Red Bird Brewing, 1086 Richter St. – Located in the brewing district of Kelowna, this brewery features one of Kelowna’s largest patios where they welcome pets and host live music events. This cozy little brewery has big character in its beers. Come enjoy some live tunes with a cold beer and your pup (or cat!) on their spacious patio.
- Vice & Virtue, 1033 Richter St. – Just across the street from Red Bird Brewing is one of Kelowna’s most popular breweries. Collaborating with local artists, they’ve made a recognizable line of beers you can find at many liquor stores throughout the Okanagan. Come enjoy some of their creative brews while enjoying their pet friendly patio.
- Bright Jenny, 984 Laurel Ave – Voted Kelowna’s Best Independent Coffee Shop in 2021. This cozy little cafe is serving up some of the finest freshly roasted beans in the valley. And the best part? They have a massive outdoor patio with plenty of space for you and your pup. Make a stop here before or after your hike up Knox Mountain or your visit to the Knox Mountain Dog Park.
- Marmalade Cat Cafe, 2903 Pandosy St #103 – Just a short walk from your suite at The Shore, the Marmalade Cat Cafe is a great spot to enjoy a cup of coffee, tea, or baked goods with your pet. Located in a landmark building, this cafe has been serving our community since 1998 and has become a beloved part of our neighbourhood.
- Bliss Bakery, 1289 Ellis St #109 – A popular spot in the Okanagan – their baked goods truly inspire a sense of bliss. Bliss’ downtown location is conveniently located in Kelowna’s core and offers a great spot to sit and relax with your furry friends.
Places to leave your pet (They need a vacation, too!)
If your stay in Kelowna involves plans which don’t include Fido, we have you covered with comfortable boarding and daycare facilities in the Okanagan. These doggy daycares will be like a vacation for your pet and will afford you some peace of mind while out exploring the beautiful Okanagan scenery.
- Doggytopia – 1054 Ellis St, 13 min (5.4 km) from The Shore.
- Kelowna Pet Resort – 1301 Glenmore Rd, 19 min (12.7 km) from The Shore.
- Bark and Fly Dog Daycare and Boarding – 5830 Old Vernon Rd, 29 min (19.3 km) from The Shore.
Pet Supplies & Grooming
Sometimes we pack light or forget a few of our travel necessities, but that won’t be a problem for your pet. We are located near some great pet stores with a wide variety of specialty toys and treats or whatever other goodies your pet might need! Check out these great options near your suite at The Shore.
- Social Pets – 2696 Pandosy St, 5 min (1.9 km) from the Shore.
- Tail Blazers – 1790 K. L. O. Rd, 6 min (3.6 km) from the Shore.
- Bosley’s – 3155 Lakeshore Rd #17, 4 min (1.2 km) from the Shore.
Your Pet-Friendly Accommodation in Kelowna
As Kelowna’s favourite pet-friendly suites, we offer a more comfortable and convenient stay for you and your furry friends. Whether you’re looking to explore the beautiful Okanagan scenery or enjoy some of the local cuisine and wineries, you’ll find The Shore to be a perfect home base.
The Shore has a variety of bookable rooms ranging from studios to spacious 3-bedroom suites, ensuring you and your pets have a spacious and comfortable place to stay. With affordable rates and flexible stays, we are a great choice for your next vacation!
Explore our suites today!