Kelowna is a city that has gone to the dogs — in the right way. Named as Canada’s pet-friendliest city in 2015 by Canadian Dogs Annual, Kelowna has some of the best veterinary care, trainers, pet sitters, and pet products in the country, as well as pet-friendly restaurants, accommodations, off-leash parks, and beaches.
The top pick for a pet friendly Kelowna hotel, The Shore, is a home away from home for both holidaymakers and their four-legged family members. With air-conditioned and spacious suites, you and your pets are guaranteed a comfortable stay in our pet friendly rentals.
Best of all, we are located a stone’s throw away from several dog-friendly spaces, including parks, beaches, trails, and even wineries! Check out our list of spaces to explore with your pet below!
Fido-Friendly Parks, Beaches and Trails
Kelowna is home to more than 10 off-leash dog parks and more than 50 dog-friendly green spaces and beaches. Those located closest to The Shore include:
- Cedar Creek Park, 5200 Lakeshore Rd. Cedar Creek is the largest off-leash dog park in Kelowna, located 8km south along Lakeshore Drive from our pet-friendly hotel. The park includes a dog beach, off-leash field, and picnic tables with views of the surrounding mountains and glistening Okanagan Lake.
- Mission Creek Greenway and Mission Recreation Park, 4105 Gordon Dr. This park is directly accessible by foot from The Shore. Walk your dog on a leash along Lakeshore Road south to the Mission Creek Greenway trailhead. Head east along the tree-lined and user-friendly path along the creek until you reach Gordon Drive. You can release your hound once reaching Mission Recreation Park, located just behind the H20 Adventure and Fitness Centre and Kelowna Capital News Centre.
- Lake Avenue Dog Beach, 117 Lake Ave. Located in the Pandosy neighbourhood, this new off-leash dog beach is the closest to downtown and is only a 3km walk from our Kelowna pet-friendly space. Watch as boats travel under the William R. Bennett Bridge while your dog splashes and plays to its heart’s content.
- Rowcliffe Park, 536 Rowcliffe Ave. Just a hop, skip and jump away from Lake Avenue Dog Beach is this newly improved community park at the old Kelowna Secondary School site. Perfect for children and pets, the park features a playground, community garden, and a fully fenced off-leash dog park.
- Myra Canyon, Kettle Valley Railway, A popular place for both walkers and cyclists, this part of the historic KVR trail, located east along KLO and McCulloch Roads and up Myra Forest Service Road, is on a former railway that traverses over 18 trestle bridges and through two tunnels way above the stunning Myra Canyon. Dogs must be kept on a leash, but the views are worth dodging the occasional cyclist!
Places to Sip in the Shade with Your Pet
Not only does Kelowna have many places to roam with your pet, but you can also imbibe a glass of local wine or a meal at these pet-friendly wineries along the Lakeshore Wine Route.
- CedarCreek Estate Winery, 5445 Lakeshore Dr. This established winery features a brand new and modern tasting room that you have to see. Your dog is welcome on-leash outside, and there’s even a dog-friendly picnic area to take in those breathtaking views while enjoying a glass of CedarCreek’s famed Pinot Noir or award-winning Riesling.
- Hubertus and Oak Bay Winery, 5205 Lakeshore Dr. Just steps away from Cedar Creek Dog Beach is this gorgeous winery and vineyard, which has seen a rebirth since it burned to the ground during the devastating 2003 wildfire. Enjoy a glass of their terroir-influenced wine while your pet rests outside the tasting room in a shaded area, with a water bowl available.
- Summerhill Pyramid Winery, 4870 Chute Lake Rd. As one of the pet-friendly wineries in Kelowna, Summerhill is a 10-minute drive south along Lakeshore Drive from The Shore. Enjoy biodynamic and organic wines aged inside an actual pyramid. Enjoy a glass of Summerhill’s famed Cipes Brut in the on-leash outdoor picnic area.
- Tantalus Vineyards, 1670 DeHart Rd. Just a 4km hike or drive up Casorso Road from The Shore, you and your pet can take in the gorgeous views from this long-established and LEED-certified hillside winery that overlooks Okanagan Lake and the City of Kelowna. Feel free to walk your dog on leash through the vineyard. In the summer, you can even bring your leashed pup inside the tasting room — only well-behaved pets (and owners) allowed.J
Meet the locals and enjoy some fun with the family at one of the best beaches in Kelowna.